Drostdy Hotel is situated in the beautiful town of Graaff-Reinet which was established in 1786 and is South Africa’s fourth oldest magisterial district. The town contains over 220 heritage sites which is more than any other town in South Africa and has examples of magnificent Cape Dutch, Victorian and Karoo architecture.Visit Website
Graaff-Reinet is virtually surrounded by the Camdeboo National Park, in the heart of the Great Karoo (Place of Thirst) which is an area covered by broad plains, vast livestock, game farms and distant koppies. Fossils in the area indicate that life has existed in the region for three billion years and the area is world-renowned for its pre-dinosaur fossils.
• Closest major airport: Port Elizabeth 250km
• Graaff-Reinet to Aberdeen 62km
• Graaff-Reinet to Nieu Bethesda 52km
• Graaff-Reinet to Port Elizabeth 250km
• Graaff-Reinet to Bloemfontein 453km
• Graaff-Reinet to Johannesburg 898km
• Graaff-Reinet (via R62 and N1) to Cape Town 717km
• Graaff-Reinet (via Kirkwood and R75) and via Somerset East to Addo Elephant National Park 221km / 249km
The Drostdy Hotel offers a total of 48 beautifully styled rooms. Stretch’s Court incorporates 31 rooms, the Ferreira precinct hosts 7 rooms in their own secluded area and Kromm’s Court an additional 10 rooms. The Hotel offers the following room categories: 8 Bachelor Rooms, 17 Standard Rooms including 1 Paraplegic Room, 15 Executive Rooms and 8 Suites.
Bachelor Rooms (8)
The Bachelor rooms are ideal for the corporate traveller and accommodate a maximum of 2 guests. The average room size is 20 m2.
Standard Rooms (17)
The Standard Rooms can accommodate a maximum of 2 guests with an average room size of 31 m2.
One wheelchair accessible room offering the following facilities:
• Spacious bathroom
• Hand rails in bathroom
• Raised toilet
• Lowered basin
• Telephone in bathroom
• Wheelchair accessible
• Wider doors & passages for wheelchairs
Executive Rooms (15)
The Executive Rooms range in size from 27 – 63 m2. There are 2 Ferreira Executive rooms which are located in a private area and can be sold together with three standard rooms in the house as a separate area with private lounge & pool.
Suites accommodate a maximum of 2 guests with an average room size of 46 m2.
• Valley of Desolation in Camdeboo National Park and watch the sun set over the Plains of Camdeboo.
• Picnic or braai in Camdeboo National Park. Enjoy the game viewing en route to your site.
• Old Residency Museum, Urquhart House and the Military Museum.
• Enjoy a private wine tasting in the Wine Shop or Vinoteque.
• The architecture of the Dutch Reformed Church (Groote Kerk), Drostdy Hotel, Stretch’s Court and the cottages in the town.
• Fossils in the Old Library Museum.
• Artwork of famous contemporary South African artists at the Hester Rupert Art Museum.
• Taste the famous Karoo lamb, venison and great Karoo food whilst enjoying authentic “platteland” hospitality at one of the town’s cosy restaurants.
• Cacti collection at Obesa Nursery.
• Karoo adventure – take a 4×4 to the top of the mountain trail or set off hiking and mountain biking in the vast open landscapes .
• Films and live shows at the historical John Rupert Theatre.
• Experience authentic Karoo farm life on a working guest farm in the area.
• Nieu Bethesda and visit Helen Martin’s Owl House Museum.
• Guided nature walks in the area.
• Township tours that include the kindergarden, clinic, library, church (Sundays only), a private home and taste Ouma`s (grandmother`s) tasty roosterbrood (local cuisine).